- Receive treatment from a gum disease specialist
- Save your teeth by treating unhealthy gums
- Ask about our discount for first responders
The damage gum disease does isn’t limited to your gums. In its advanced stages, it can cause tooth loss. Plus, research has linked it to serious conditions like heart disease, diabetes, and Alzheimer’s disease. Given this, our team is serious about gum disease treatment in Wayne. You can receive treatment in-house from Dr. Scott Smith, a periodontist.Julie F on Gum Treatment Read Transcript
Julie F on Gum Treatment
My grandfather and my mother both had severe gum issues. And when I first started coming here, when I would come in to have my teeth cleaned, they would have to numb my gums because it was so painful. But after, you know, now I've been coming here for so long, they treat me like any normal patient when I come in. I've had to have some gum replacement, I've had to have some fill done in my gums where they sent me to a periodontist to do that. But, I mean, I've just seen a steady improvement over my years of coming here.
Our treatment will:
- Relieve unpleasant symptoms like bad breath and bleeding gums
- Keep your gums from receding
- Prevent gum disease from entering its final stage, where you can lose teeth
- Potentially lower your risk of conditions linked to gum disease, like diabetes
We check for signs of disease during every dental exam. If your gums are bleeding or you notice other gum disease symptoms, call us ASAP at 610-227-6143. Appointments are available as early as 8 a.m. for your scheduling convenience.
We Use Several Methods to Treat Gum Disease
We pride ourselves on thoroughly eradicating gum disease! Our periodontist (a specialist in preventing, diagnosing, and treating gum disease) may recommend a deep cleaning treatment called scaling and root planing and/or Perio Protect, special trays used to apply an antibiotic treatment. We do everything we can to prevent surgery, but if necessary, Dr. Smith can perform surgery to restore your gums to health.
Prevention Is the Best Approach to Gum Disease
Doctor Brian Handel on Gum Treatment
We take great pride in the gum treatment part of our practice because we can do it noninvasively because we catch it early. We use a number of different materials and instruments that allow our patients to go through that treatment process in a much more comfortable manner. We also have a periodontist in our office that has trained us in terms of what to detect, but he's also helped us in terms of more extensive treatment if need be.
Our goal is to prevent our patients from ever needing a periodontist, so we try to do whatever we can to catch any type of periodontal or gum problem as early as possible, make the patient aware of it, and help them understand it so that we can treat them more conservatively and early.
Like tooth decay, gum disease is caused by bacteria found in plaque. Many oral hygiene best practices help prevent both problems. You should:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day, using a toothpaste with fluoride. Brush for at least two minutes, and make sure you brush along your gumline.
- Floss every day to remove plaque from between teeth.
- Avoid starchy and sugary foods as much as possible. Choose foods high in vitamins A and C.
- Don’t smoke or use smokeless tobacco.
- Understand how your oral and overall health are related through our whole body dentistry approach.
- Visit us for professional dental cleanings at least twice a year.
For gum disease treatment in Wayne, call 610-227-6143. In addition to Wayne, we welcome patients from nearby communities like Devon and Berwyn.