Becoming a dentist was a longtime dream for Dr. Brian Handel. In high school, teachers complimented him on his artistic ability. In shop classes, his instructors noticed how well he worked with his hands and often commented on how creative his projects were. He would typically hear, “You’re amazing with your hands; maybe you should think about becoming an artist, a mechanic, a carpenter, or a welder.” While none of those professions interested him, their remarks got him thinking.
During a visit to his family dentist for a filling, he was impressed by the dentist’s ability to repair a cavity in his mouth and make it look like nothing was ever done. He then looked at some before and after pictures of his cosmetic work and thought to himself, “I could do this!” Throughout high school and college, he worked in different dental offices, learning as much as he could about the profession. This reinforced his passion for dentistry. He loved the idea of working with people to make them healthier and improving their self-esteem with a beautiful smile.
After college and a brief stint working as a wallpaper hanger in South Florida and enjoying the beach, he entered Temple University’s Kornberg School of Dentistry and earned the degree he’d been dreaming of since junior high school.
Soon after graduation, he became part of a Wayne tradition of providing quality care and comfortable dental treatment. He has dedicated his career to providing patients with the best that dentistry has to offer using the latest technology, materials, and treatments. Every day he goes to his office with an extreme appreciation for the confidence and trust his patients have placed in him. This drives him to constantly pursue knowledge that will help his patients.
Since receiving his DDS, he has pursued many opportunities to continue to improve his skills, including:
- Coursework in advanced cosmetic studies at the world-renowned Las Vegas Institute (LVI)
- Advanced training in aesthetics, periodontics, implants, ceramic restorations, laser dentistry, and orthodontics
- ClearCorrect/Invisalign certification
His professional affiliations and memberships include:
- Academy of General Dentistry
- International Association for Orthodontics
- The Academy of Laser Dentistry
- DOCS (Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation)
- The World Clinical Laser Institute
- American Academy of Craniofacial Pain, which emphasizes education in TMJ treatment and sleep breathing disorders
- Charter member of Appliance Therapy Practitioners
He has received many awards and accolades, including:
- Voted to the list of “America’s Top Dentists” for 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2017 by the Consumers’ Research Council of America
- Voted one of the Top Dentists on the Main Line by his peers in Main Line Today magazine four years in a row
Dr. Handel believes in giving back to the community and is proud to help improve the dental health of those who are less fortunate. He volunteers for the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry’s Give Back a Smile program, which provides complimentary cosmetic care to domestic violence survivors. He also enjoys volunteering his skills to the National Foundation of Dentistry for the Handicapped.
In his free time, there is nothing more important than his family and friends. He spends as much time as he can with his two amazing daughters. The very proud dad also enjoys yoga, working out, playing guitar, golfing, playing tennis, and traveling.